- Getting Started
- Paying for Your Course
- Withdrawing and Refunds
Withdrawing and Refunds
Withdrawing from your course
All requests to withdraw from a course must be in writing.
You may be eligible for a refund depending on the program you are enrolled in and your particular circumstances.
When completing the Withdrawal/Refund Application form you will be asked to indicate whether you are deferring or discontinuing your studies.
Deferring your studies means:
You can defer your course up to 12 months from your formal application. If you return to your studies within 12 months, your Smart & Skilled Student or Concession fee will not change.
If you do not return to study within this 12 month period, your student record will be updated to show you as ‘withdrawn and discontinuing’ your study.
Discontinuing your studies means:
You have decided to end your studies in your enrolled qualification, or you have not returned to study within 12 months of your initial deferral.
If you wish to return to complete your qualification, you will be reassessed against the Smart & Skilled eligibility and entitlement criteria, current at that time, to determine your Student fee or eligibility for a Concession fee or fee exemption.
WITHDRAWAL/REFUND APPLICATION FORM - 2017
WITHDRAWAL/REFUND APPLICATION FORM - 2016
When a refund may be given
A refund of all or part of the Smart & Skilled Student Fee or concession fee may be given in the following exceptional circumstances:
- you have overpaid the Smart & Skilled Student Fee or concession fee.
- you enrolled in a course that has been cancelled by the campus or Institute.
- you have paid the full Smart & Skilled Student Fee but now receive Youth Allowance or Austudy commencing within two weeks of the date of enrolment or the date of first attendance at class or participation in training (you will be eligible for a concession)
- you formally advise the campus, before classes commence and with no attendance or *participation in training, that you are withdrawing from the course
- you have chosen to pay the Student Fee in instalments or personal payment plans under the Institute Default Instalment Plan and formally advise the campus that you are withdrawing or deferring from the course you may be entitled to a partial refund.
- you have been granted recognition of prior learning and/or credit transfer for one or more Units of Competence, after commencement of training/participation you may be entitled to a partial refund.
- students who are members of the Defence Reserves. The Withdrawal/Refund process is outlined in the Student Reservist Support Policy - TAFE NSW.
Note: Students with a VET FEE-HELP loan should refer to VET FEE-HELP loans.
Please download and complete the appropriate form or talk to a Customer Service Officer at your college if you think you may be eligible for a refund.
*Active participation is attending class, accessing activities online and unit support pages on the OLS, submitting assessments, completing assessments at practical sessions if applicable, sitting exams or tests, submitting an application for recognition of prior learning, making satisfactory progress in learner support or any other similar interaction that results in the completion of a unit or units.
For OTEN students only – Please forward your completed and signed Withdrawal/Refund Application Form to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Apprenticeships and traineeships - special circumstances
If you enrol in an approved apprenticeship or traineeship course without evidence of being an apprentice or a trainee, you will be asked to pay the relevant Smart & Skilled Student fee for the qualification.
If you subsequently provide evidence that you were an apprentice or a trainee at the time you enrolled, you will be refunded the difference between the qualification level Student Fee and the relevant apprenticeship fee or traineeship Smart & Skilled Student Fee.
Fee For Service - Refunds or Cancellations
Cancellations advised in writing more than 7 days prior to the commencement of the course are eligible for a full refund. For cancellations advised 7 days or less prior to commencement of course, no refunds are provided however you may nominate someone else to attend in your place.
If the course is cancelled, participants may transfer into the next delivery of the same course or receive a full refund.
VET Student Loan - Refund
Different refund rules apply to students enrolled under the VET Student Loan scheme. To read more, go to the VET Student Loan page.