- Find a Course
- Diploma of Nursing
Diploma of Nursing
National Course Code: HLT54115
TAFE NSW Course Number: HLT54115-01V01
This course provides the skills and knowledge to work as an enrolled nurse under the supervision of the registered nurse in a variety of settings including acute, aged care, community, rehabilitation and mental health. It will provide the theoretical and practical skills to:
- relate the concepts of the person, environment and health to the safe and effective practice of nursing
- participate in a multidisciplinary team to assist the individual to meet their needs
- practise in a safe and culturally competent manner to meet the physical, psychosocial, emotional and mental health needs of individuals
- practice within the nursing professional standards, codes of practice and state legislation
- develop, monitor and maintain a holistic plan of care in collaboration with the RN, multidisciplinary team
- demonstrate effective communication and documentation skills in a variety of healthcare settings
- participate in professional development of self
- practise within safety standards and quality improvement guidelines
- engage in reflective practice, nursing research and critically analyse and apply evidence based practice to nursing care
To complete the Diploma of Nursing students are required to successfully complete all units and complete a minimum of 400hrs of unpaid professional experience to meet the assessment requirements of the units. On completion of HLT54115 qualification students are eligible to apply for registration as an Enrolled Nurse with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (http://www.ahpra.gov.au).
ENROLLING IN FIRST AID UNITS OF COMPETENCY
If you are enrolling in a First Aid unit of competency you are advised that to complete the unit you must be able to perform cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) for at least 2 minutes on the floor. If you have a disability that would prevent you from performing required basic life support skills you are advised that you will not be able to achieve the unit of competency.
Enrolled nurses can work in general or specialised health care facilities including acute (hospital), care, medical centres, community, mental health, rural and remote, aged care and palliative care.
With supervised professional experience, you will reinforce the theory and skills learned in class while gaining real-world experience in a healthcare environment. Prior to undertaking professional experience you must be prepared to:
1. NSW HEALTH
Before you commence any professional experience in NSW Health facilities, you will be required to
- Meet NSW Health's - Criminal Record Check requirements;
- Sign the NSW Health Code of Conduct form and any other forms, as required by NSW Health;
- Undertake Occupational Assessment, Screening and Vaccination against Infectious Diseases and provide your Health Care Worker/Student Vaccination Record Card.
For specific information regarding NSW Health's requirements, and access to the required forms, it is recommended that you visit their FAQs for students at:
2. AGED CARE WORK
Before you undertake any professional experience in Aged Care Facilities you will be required to undertake a National Criminal Record Check. Visit:
3. COMMUNITY AND CHILDREN'S SERVICES
Anyone in child-related work (including student professional experience and volunteers) MUST have a current Working with Children Check (students/volunteers free) in line with the Office of Children's Guardian phase-in schedule and processes. Visit:
4. STUDENT READINESS FOR PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
Professional experience will only occur after there has been a reasonable amount of student/teacher contact and when the teacher is satisfied that you are ready to benefit from workplace learning and perform workplace duties. Your teacher can provide further information.
STUDENT RIGHTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
For more information visit: https://www.tafensw.edu.au/courses/rights-and-responsibilities/index.htm
Study Options & Enrolment
Government subsidised, VET Student Loans
Government subsidised, VET Student Loans